How can I plan for the future and avoid a Committeeship?

  • An Enduring Power of Attorney allows another person to make financial decisions for you.
  • An Advance Directive allows you to give or refuse consent to health care in case you are incapable of giving instructions in the future.
  • A Representation Agreement allows another person to make decisions on health care, personal care, make temporary arrangement for your children and do routine financial transactions for you.

Each of these documents focus on a different aspect of your life.

An Advance Directive is a way to give instructions for fundamental questions about the health care that you receive.  For example, you can direct that you do not want to receive blood transfusions, or you do not want to be kept on life support for over two weeks.  However, it is difficult to imagine all the health care decisions that might have to be made in the future so this is not a tool for detailed planning.

A Representation Agreement is a better tool for planning for the unimaginable events of life.  This agreement lets you appoint a trusted person to make decisions that affect your day to day life.  For example, your representative can decide where you will live, what health care you will get and whether certain people can visit you.  Your representative can also make decisions in the short term regarding your children, and take care of the routine management of your financial affairs.  However, a Representation Agreement is not the most powerful tool for financial planning.

An Enduring Power of Attorney lets you appoint a trusted person to handle your financial affairs.  With it, your attorney will be able to control every aspect of your finances except the making of your will. 

Planning for the future that you want is complex, but we can help.  Contact us.